Friday, March 9, 2012

Miles Louis Collection

Miles Louis Collection is a fictional, high-end shoe company. They target women from the ages of early 20s to mid 40s. The merchandise they sell is expensive and upscale. Branding this company as well as creating a 3d model of a shoe was a complete blast. As I have stated before, I greatly enjoy product design and physically creating the project and the brand to go with it. Here is the logo, branding package and model renders.
This project really took a lot of thought. In the past I just had to create the brand or the model idea, never actually putting the two elements together in on product. Combining the two certainly tested my creativity. For this project my professor created a weekly progress timeline and I found I struggled meeting this because I would come to class and my professor would ask me to go back and rework it all. This didn't bother me but it did stress me out. After a solid three weeks of continually reworking everything it all finally game together. Deciding the name was the most influential decision. Once I nailed the name everything else came together.

As far as the technical aspects, the logo and branding were created using Illustrator and the shoe was created using Autodesk Maya. I had no technical problems with Illustrator but Maya certainly gave me a run for my money. The modeling aspect was no problem but the texturing and lighting was. I wanted to put the brand on the inside of the shoe and Maya did not seem to like me combining a Maya made texture with a me-made texture. The lighting wasn't necessarily a problem but it took a lot of trial and error (several days worth) to get the desired result. Each time I changed the camera I found myself having to adjust the lighting.

Would I do anything different? Yes. This last week I showed my professor this model and it was suggested that I show more than just the finished renders but also the in-progress renders as well as show the wire frame of the model. Taking this advice I am currently working on just wire frame renders of this particular model. Look for a future post with the wire frames.

-Jaimie

No comments:

Post a Comment